Monday, January 6, 2014

What I don't want to write about

,
Not many people read this. Which is fine because I'm kind of a slacker about writing. But one of the reasons I haven't written much lately is that I don't want this to turn into a mom blog. A baby blog. A baby-book blog.

Now when I say that I hope none of you feel defiant toward me. There are many, many people who want to be be mom bloggers. Who want to capture their family life story on their blog. And I love reading those blogs. That's just not my cup of joe. 

(I'm a coffee drinker, not much for tea.)

Remember the blog name, around here: "Abundance of the heart". That is not a "my heart overflows with great love and happiness and cushy sparkly things" title. It is about me telling you the things that are going on in my mind and heart. We- people in general, not you and me specifically- talk about the things we love. So I guess it is about me telling you about the things I love. Sometimes the things I love are pretty, but sometimes they are ugly. 

Here's where it gets tricky. 

Sometimes what I love, what is overflowing out of the abundance of my heart, is being a mom. Sometimes what I feel so compelled to talk about is my pretty little baby girl. 

Speaking of which...

She is two months old today, you know? Where did the time go? 

Well three weeks of it has gone to a nasty cold. Have you ever heard of a newborn getting a cold? Well it's rotten. And to add insult to injury she has a throat condition that makes her cough sound like bronchitis in a full grown man. It started off as some head congestion, became the aforementioned horrible cough, migrated to some nasty vomiting of mucous, back to mild congestion and a mild cough, and in the past 24-48 hours has manifested itself through more vomiting of the aforementioned mucous. You know what the difference between spit up and vomit is for a newborn? Practically nothin! Vomit can get some air to it and make a little girl mad, but generally speaking it is like trying to tell the difference between sleet and freezing rain. No one really knows. More on frigid temperatures later. 

In between squirt (saline) and suck (bulb syringe) sessions, our little Mary is developing a personality. She seems to be very independent. I have no idea where she gets that. 

Where is the sarcasm font when you need it?

If she isn't eating or being rocked to sleep, she usually wants to be lying on her back playing. Generally this involves people hovering over her adoringly, myself included, but she is often content to just look at the ceiling, walls, or whatever is in her periphery. She is also an exercise fanatic and loves to do bicycles nonstop. I've never seen a baby kick so hard and so fast! And about three weeks ago she started showing off her smile. Oh that smile will melt my heart. We are so excited for giggles to come next. Enjoy a few random, unedited* pictures.  

One month old here. 

Tummy time turned nap time. 

 Exploring. 

Trying to distract dad while he's working. Clearly Mary is successful. 


* We got a mac (hooray!) but I haven't messed with the picture storage/ editing software yet. Expect better pictures in the future. 

1 comments:

  1. im a horrible sister and hadnt realized that you were blogging again. that picture of you and mary is priceless. i want a copy of that forever. cant wait to see you, oh and i guess mary will be there, tomorrow. i love you more every single day sister.

    ReplyDelete