I remember when I was sick one early spring as a child and my mom brought my sister and I each a small hyacinth plant to put beside our beds. If you know much about hyacinths you know they smell strongly. She did not appreciate the smell, so I got both of the plants all to myself and I adored the overwhelming scent. They smell more beautiful than they look, but they look like this.
To this day I love love love flowers.
My favorite? Oh it depends on the day, but
daisies
poppies
peonies, oh my sweet peonies
and tulips
are way up there.
Last year I tried to grow a garden in our wonderful new house. I planted two shasta daisies, a rose bush, and 3 other smaller things I can't remember. Well the "three smaller things" quickly turned to dried up tumbleweeds and rolled down the hill and into the distance. The daisies withered (my mother says this is normal their first year) and the rose bush... well I haven't killed it yet. The point of this story is that I do NOT have the green thumb that I desperately wish I had! This is a very sad thing. In the late fall, my roomie and I planted 35- count 'em- 35 tulip bulbs and are waiting patiently for them to sprout through the frozen ground as my faithful daffodils have done. No I did not plant them, they came with the house so I haven't had a chance to accidently kill them yet. But the day they do, I will rejoice, and then I will spend more money on more flowers, Because there are few things that make my heart sing like flowers. That and chocolate*.
So tell me friends. What is your favorite flower? Do you garden? What are your tricks to not destroying your little lovelies? I'd love to know!
*Side note: Speaking of chocolate, I MADE IT! 5 whole days with no sweets of any kind. Not so much as a dipper of nutella on a pretzel. I'm proud of myself. But here comes the sad part. As I was leaving work today- it's officially the weekened now- I dug into a small piece of chocolate. It was wonderful. For about 5 minutes. Then my stomach threw a fit. Not sure if it was angry that the chocolate was back or punishing me for depriving myself of it so long. Regardless, I'll have more dessert tomorrow. Because it's Saturday. And because I love sweets. :-)






I love spring flowers too, Sam! This year I am going to hope that the dried up hydrangea bush in our backyard yields enough blooms to keep all of my vases filled. Other than that, I don't plan to do any gardening this year until we magically finish our house renovation early. I figure if I can't keep a house plant alive, I am really going to struggle with tending to a garden. At least we have years to learn!
ReplyDelete