Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Autumn roasted veggies

,

Last week I made roasted veggies. The same ones my sister made for me on my birthday. They were uber-tasty and it incorporates all kinds of vegetables you've never used before. I took tons of fabulous photos along the way to show you. 
{Imagine approximately 10 fabulous photos}
Then I went to load them to my computer and the photos were gone. Story of my life. Lucky for me I had texted one little picture to my sister, showing off the final product.


Pretty, huh?
So here's how you do it. 
  1. Gather yourself some veg-e-tables. I used:
    • Butternut squash
    • Rutabaga
    • Purple top turnip
    • Carrots
    • Pearl onions
    • You can also toss in beets, potatoes, celery root, parsnips, or whatever you heart desires.
When you get to the register at the grocery store and the cashier looks at you like "What is this? I don't know how to ring this up. You sure you want to eat this stuff?" Just look confident. You totally know what you're doing.
  1. Start chopping everything into bite size pieces. Chopping is always the worst part of a recipe, so just power through it. A few tips:
    • Let your dog play with the pieces of carrot that go flying. He'll think it's a bouncy-ball.
    • Never cut a butternut squash? I have a photo of that for you. Psych! Just chop off the neck so you've got one thick piece and one thin piece. It makes it easier to peel. 
    • Never cut a rutabaga? Good luck! Just kidding. Once you peel off the weird skin its just like a potato.
  2. Drizzle on EVOO, as Rachael would say. I don’t have an actual measurement for you here. Which works cause I didn’t tell you how much of each of the veggies to use J. Just drizzle, toss, drizzle, toss… until you get to a just barely slimey state. Pardon the adjective there, but seriously that’s what you’re going for. Then toss on some sal y pepe, thyme, rosemary and majoram.
  3. Spread all of it on a sheet pan in a single layer and roast “until fork tender” (her words, not mine) and golden brown, turning occasionally. It should take about 45 minutes. 
  4. Serve to people that don't like veggies, and watch them enjoy.

0 comments to “Autumn roasted veggies”

Post a Comment